This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
A steam shower generator plays an integral role in the residential steam shower system and can provide effective holistic therapy for a weary soul.
There are many manufacturers that produce steam shower generators, so you’ve got to do your homework before diving in.
I wrote a few articles awhile back on a Victorian style home that was recently built in Marietta for one of Georgia’s most prominent citizens. The home is absolutely magnificent — inside and out. The homeowners had some very cool custom features added during the construction phase, including a steam shower.
The homeowners had a steam shower generator installed for the master suite bathroom that few homes could match in quality and features. I’ll talk more about the actual steam shower in a future post.
Steam Shower Basics
A steam shower is a small enclosure, much like a regular shower, that has a vapor-tight door with a steam shower generator supplying all of the steam.
Of course, a steam shower room is nothing without a steam shower generator.
The steam shower room can be a modular unit or a custom enclosure constructed with wall-to-wall mortared tile or natural stone.
The tile or stone must be set in a mortar bed and not on a water-resistant drywall material. Steam will not penetrate mortar but will damage water-resistant drywall backer board beyond repair and may even penetrate walls creating even more havoc in your home, including mold and mildew.
How To Choose a Steam Shower Generator
- First and foremost, make sure that the bathroom will be able to handle the excess moisture created from the steam shower through fans that vent to the outdoors.
- Be sure to install the steam shower generator within 20 to 25 feet of the steam shower enclosure.
- Size your generator accordingly for the steam shower room enclosure. Your contractor can assist you with this process. Here is a straightforward steam shower generator sizing guide calculator to assist you.
- Your steam shower generator should have a 1-3 year warranty.
- The steam shower generator should be able to quickly boil water to produce an adequate amount of steam within a few minutes.
- The steam shower generator should run quietly and produce steam evenly on a consistent basis.
This project is not for amateurs.
There are many logistical issues involved with installing a steam shower generator so I suggest that you go with a pro.
Interview several plumbing contractors that have numerous installations under their belt.
They are tucked away in the basement under the stairwell with an access door.
More About Steam Showers
- Steam Shower Design Options
- How A Steam Shower Works
- Steam Generator Sizing
- Tips For Setting Up A Steam Shower Generator
- 15 Things To Consider Before Installing A Steam Shower
- Steam Bath Generator Sizing Guide
- How Much A Steam Shower Costs
- Steam Showers: How They Work
I started as a home-stalker… visiting brand new homes under construction in the neighborhoods near my house. That inspired me to write about home building and home renovation projects — chronicling homes during different phases of construction from a consumer's point-of-view. Basically, the tips you'll find in my articles are a collection of checklists for what I think should (and should not) go into building or remodeling a quality home.