Laundry rooms come in all shapes and sizes. Some are built with convenient cabinets to keep everything out of sight and some with just a wire shelf, or two, to store your laundry essentials. Builders almost treat laundry rooms as afterthoughts, it would seem, in some cases. I just don’t get it (shaking my head to and fro).
Doing laundry is enough of a chore without having sufficient elbow room to fold laundry, hang up delicates and shirts, and all the other tasks that go along with it. I should know. I live in a home where the laundry area is an over-sized closet just off the kitchen. Not exactly ideal but we’ve managed.
We’ve also talked about building a laundry room in the basement but that would require a sump pump and all that mess. An expensive proposition. So for now…we are stuck with the laundry "closet", although, we are considering taking our high efficiency washer/dryer off of their pedestals, building a shelf just above the units and putting in a row of nice cabinets overhead. That would be nice and it’s something that’s definitely on our "To do" list.
What Elements Combine To Create Great Laundry Room Design?
- A large utility sink.
- A nice, big counter to fold clothes on.
- Overhead cabinets and maybe one or two down below to store all of your laundry detergents, starch, etc.. You know that you’ve got to have a drawer for lost socks. Eventually the match will show up.
- A fold-away ironing board.
- Room to move and a space plenty deep for your washer and dryer.
- Plenty of bright light.
- A vent to keep the temperature in the room warm/cool.
- A window that can be opened to let some natural light in and to let some fresh air in if it’s a nice day.
- A clothes rod to hang shirts, etc. as you’re pulling items out of the dryer.
- A couple of electrical outlets for a sewing machine, an iron, and maybe a TV or music playback device of your choosing.
Laundry Room Pictures
To give you some ideas on how to design your laundry room, I’ve got a few photos of some laundry rooms that I’ve come across over the years. Good luck with designing yours.
More Laundry Room Pictures…
A cozy laundry room via Country Living
Great laundry room design information via laundry-and-dishwasher-info
Laundry Room Storage, Organization and Inspiration via Home-Designing
Read This Before You Redo Your Laundry Room via Remodeling Center
7 Key Solutions to Great Laundry Room Design via Service Magic
How To Design A Laundry Room via This Old House
Writing a home building blog that chronicles new homes during different phases of construction from a consumers’ point-of-view is rather unique and loads of fun. Basically, my tips are a collection of checklists for what I think should (and should not) go into building a quality home. So let’s have fun seeing what’s new in the housing market these days!