Gas is expensive, campsite reservations aren’t cheap, not to mention the time and energy you’ve put into organizing a trip.
When you’ve made your way back to your traditional “stick home” you’ll need somewhere to park your RV.
Basically, you have 2 RV storage options:
- You park your RV in an off-site storage facility — due to neighborhood bylaws, city ordinances, or space constraints.
- You keep your RV on your driveway or on your property.
As seen in these photos, some folks even go so far as to build a house that has a custom RV garage for the motorhome of their dreams.
Reselling A Home With An Oversized RV Garage
I’ll be honest, when I first saw the house with the RV garage (above), 2 thoughts immediately came to my mind:
- What the…!!!
- If you ever wanted to resell the house, it might be a tough sell.
So I’m wondering, what would you do if you bought the house and didn’t want the RV garage?
Well, you could simply remove the garage door and enclose it.
Or… you could turn the space into:
- an indoor basketball court
- mini concert hall
- hockey rink
- pre-school / daycare center
- library (my wife would love that)
- private, indoor resort
Okay, this is getting a little ridiculous. It’s ALOT of space!
Practically speaking, you could build a second floor in the RV garage space and gain valuable square footage to serve whatever purpose your heart and needs require.
Any way you look at it, a house with an RV garage is not be likely to sold until the owners die or they sell the RV. It’s that unusual!
Or is it? RV communities featuring traditional homes with RV garages are becoming more and more popular, because every RVer needs a home base.
Before You Design Your RV Garage
In case you’re wondering, the standard height of an RV garage door is 12 to 15 feet. The extra height is needed for roof appliances like satellite receivers, fans, and air conditioning units.
Here are some other RV height and width issues to consider before you design your custom RV garage.
Here are typical garage door dimensions — for standard, RV, and commercial size garages.
Tips for remodeling your RV garage.
RV / Motorhome Garage Plans
- Cool House Plans’ RV Garage Plans
- RV Storage Plans From Just Garage Plans
- Behm Designs’ RV Garage Plans
- RV Garage Plans From Family Home Plans
- Coach House RV Storage Plans