This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
So….you want to go green, do ya? Excellent!
Green homebuilding has come a long way and there are lots of resources out there to help you do the right thing along the way. Your timing couldn’t have been any better because of today’s access to a multitude of resources to green home building methods and standards via the internet, widespread material availability and builders with the know-how to get the job done according to the green code in your area. If you have the inclination to build an energy efficient, ecologically-friendly home in your area, then you will need to be aware of the standards and codes to go green. With no further ado, please take the time to explore some of the links provided here to increase your knowledge of all things green. We will be adding to the list of links as we come across them in the coming weeks and months.
Keep in mind that some of the links below are regional but offer valuable information that you can easily apply towards your green home building project. There are also some links to green homebuilding materials resources that may be able to ship your materials to your job site. Please see the details within each website. If you know of a great link to a resource, feel free to share it with us so we can review it and possibly post it below. Our goal is to get as many great ecologically-friendly links available, without excessive duplication, in a sort of one-stop-shop area of the web. Think Globally…Act Locally!
Green Home Building Resources (and some others dealing with all things GREEN)
- https://www.nahb.org/ National Association of Homebuilders
- https://www.usgbc.org/ U.S. Green Building Council – LEED Rating System For Homes
- https://www.eere.energy.gov/ The Home Building Industry’s Technical Information Resource
- https://www.energystar.gov/ Make Your Next New Home Energy Star Compliant
- https://www.energystar.gov/new homes resources Energy Star Homebuyer Resources
- Groovy Green An informative, conscientious blog that covers a wide range of “green” topics. Bookmark it!
- Southplace.org Responsible Solutions For Environmental Living
- U.S. DOE Geothermal Technologies Program Information on Geothermal Heating and Cooling Systems
- https://www.geoexchange.org/ Geothermal Heat Pump Consortium
I started as a home-stalker… visiting brand new homes under construction in the neighborhoods near my house. That inspired me to write about home building and home renovation projects — chronicling homes during different phases of construction from a consumer's point-of-view. Basically, the tips you'll find in my articles are a collection of checklists for what I think should (and should not) go into building or remodeling a quality home.