We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
There are lots of great new products — and more choices — on the market today and one of them is made by Smith & Fong.
The trade name for their product is Plyboo.
Plyboo (Plywood + Bamboo)
Working with sustainable products is becoming a huge part of the home building industry, and bamboo products are just one way to increase LEED points when you are building a home or condo.
Check out this video on the Fresco House, which showcases Plyboo and many other great sustainable home building products:
PlybooStrand plywood can be specified PlybooPure (urea-formaldehyde-free).
Plyboo is stronger than oak and 100% renewable. The bamboo is harvested by hand in China by local farmers.
This helps to minimize the impact on the local environment.
The farmers only select mature bamboo stalks and do not exceed harvesting 20% of the field at any given time.
Earn LEED Points By Installing Plyboo
- The LEED credits that apply:
- IEQc4.3: Low-Emitting Materials – Flooring Systems (No Added Urea Formaldehyde)
- IEQc4.4: Low-Emitting Materials (No Added Urea Formaldehyde)
- MRc6: Rapidly Renewable Materials
- MRc7: Certified Wood
- All PlybooStrand plywood products can be specified PlybooPure and Indoor Advantage Gold-certified, and 100% FSC-certified
- All PlybooStrand flooring products can be specified PlybooPure and FloorScore-certified, and 100% FSC-certified
Smith & Fong offers 3 products that are UF-free:
- Plyboo flooring – plywood and veneer
- PlybooStrand flooring and plywood
- Durapalm coconut-palm flooring – plywood and woven panels
Edge Grain vs. Flat Grain Bamboo
The photo on the left shows what edge grain bamboo looks like, and the photo on the right shows what flat grain bamboo looks like:
- Edge grain is vertically cut, also known as quarter-sawn. The strips are laid down on their short sides and then laminated together.
- Flat grain is flat cut or horizontally cut, also known as flat sawn. The strips are laminated together side-by-side and then stacked in layers.
Edge grain and flat grain are comparable products. You only need to be concerned with the look of the grain and how it will best fit in with your home.
Here’s more on the difference between edge grain and flat grain bamboo — with illustrations.
NOTE: The photo at the top of this post shows the Neopolitan line of strand bamboo plywood by Smith & Fong. As you can see, it is some very beautiful stuff with loads of rich colors that pop. Neopolitan was selected as “Best Green Product” in Interiors and Sources Readers’ Choice Awards.
More About Bamboo Plywood
I started as a home-stalker… visiting brand new homes under construction in the neighborhoods near my house. That inspired me to write about home building and home renovation projects — chronicling homes during different phases of construction from a consumer's point-of-view. Basically, the tips you'll find in my articles are a collection of checklists for what I think should (and should not) go into building or remodeling a quality home.